There are dozens of popular e-commerce plugins, but in our experience, there are really only two options worth considering.
Both offer dozens of versatile extensions and sophisticated APIs which can be readily extended to suit almost any use case. You can select either with confidence, but we give the edge to WooCommerce for several reasons:
- There are simply more third-party integrations available; theme and page builder support as well as other supporting services. However, Easy Digital Downloads is closing this gap and offers a few unique integrations of their own.
- Even if you don’t intend to ship physical products now, you might want to one day: WooCommerce handles that by default. Easy Digital Downloads can be extended to do so, but the process isn’t nearly as graceful.
- It’s generally easier to find documentation and custom code samples for WooCommerce.
- There are several things that WooCommerce just does better. It handles things like grouped products and subscriptions more elegantly and with fewer hoops to jump through, to name two examples.
- There are dozens of other “e-commerce” solutions available for WordPress, but we can only recommend WooCommerce or Easy Digital Downloads.